- Ershova Tamara Vitalyevna Ph.D., professor
- Sedov Sergey V.
The article is devoted to an actual, but insufficiently studied problem in Russian historiography. The measures that were carried out by the tsarist government during the First World War to mobilize the textile industry were analyzed. The following tasks are considered: distribution of military orders to supply the army; equipping of enterprises working for the needs of the army with raw materials and labor; the evacuation of factories from the front-line zone and the issuance of loans to them to establish production at the new site; control of prices for scarce raw materials, semi-finished and military products. The article pays attention to the activities of the Special Meeting on National Defense — a key state body in the field of industrial mobilization, created in the summer of 1915, as well as the Main directorate of intendancy — the structure that was responsible for the supply of goods to the army, including textiles. The article also addresses the issue of attracting public organizations to the supply of the army — Zemgor and the Central War Industry Committee, which made, although not so large scale, but still a significant contribution to the common cause of providing the army with certain types of textile products. The final conclusions assess the activities carried out. It was noted that thanks to the above actions, it was possible to militarize textile production, but the late nature of mobilization allowed this to be done only by 1916. The scientific novelty lies in the deepening of historical knowledge on this issue, as well as in the coverage of the topic, based on archival sources from the records of the Special Meeting on National Defense, a significant part of which is put into scientific literature for the first time.
How to link insert
Ershova, T. V. & Sedov, S. V. (2022). GOVERNMENT MEASURES TO MOBILIZE THE TEXTILE INDUSTRY IN RUSSIA DURING THE FIRST WORLD WAR Bulletin of the Moscow City Pedagogical University. Series "Pedagogy and Psychology", 2022, №1 (45), 37. https://doi.org/10.25688/20-76-9105.2022.45.1.03
1. 1. Alekseev T. V. Perestroika promyshlennosti Rossii na voennyi lad: itogi i uroki Pervoi mirovoi voiny [Restructuring of Russia’s industry in a military way: the results and lessons of the First World War] // Nauchno-tekhnicheskie vedomosti Sankt-Peterburgskogo gosudarstvennogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. Gumanitarnye i obshchestvennye nauki. 2016. № 3 (250). S. 16–25. (In Russ.).
2. 2. Belov S. I. Antikrizisnoe upravlenie tekstil’noi promyshlennost’iu v guberniiakh Verkhnei Volgi v gody Pervoi mirovoi voiny (1914 – fevral’ 1917 g.) [Anti-crisis management of textile industry within Upper Volga region provinces during the First World War (1914 – February 1917)] // Istoricheskie, filosofskie, politicheskie i iuridicheskie nauki, kul’turologiia i iskusstvovedenie. Voprosy teorii i praktiki. 2012. № 3-1 (17). S. 37–40. (In Russ.).
3. 3. Borodkin L. I. Dinamika urovnia zhizni rossiiskikh rabochikh v gody Pervoi mirovoi voiny novye podkhody, novye otsenki [The evolution of the living standards of the Russian workers during the First World War: new approaches and assessments] // Revue des études slaves. Sociétés en guerre. 2016. № 2 (87). Sociétés en guerre, Russie – Europe centrale (1914–1918). С. 141–162. DOI: 10.4000/res.858 (In Russ.).
4. 4. Gulin A. O. Organizatsiia proizvodstva voennoi produktsii na predpriiatiiakh rossiiskoi provintsii v gody pervoi mirovoi voiny (na materialakh Vladimirskoi, Kostromskoi i Iaroslavskoi gubernii) [Organization of production of military products at enterprises of the Russian province during the First World War (on materials of the Vladimir, Kostroma and Yaroslavl provinces)] // Gosudarstvo, obshchestvo, tserkov’ v istorii Rossii XX–XXI vekov materialy XIV Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoi konferentsii. (Ivanovo, 18–19 marta 2015 g.): v 2 ch. Ivanovo: Ivan. gos. un-t, 2015. Ch. 2. S. 301–310. (In Russ.).
5. 5. Kafengauz L. B. Evoliutsiia promyshlennogo proizvodstva Rossii (posled. tret’ XIX v. – 30-e gg. XX v.) [Evolution of industrial production in Russia]: [sbornik] / [vstup. st. A. N. Markovoi]; Ros. AN, In-t ekonomiki, Mezhdunar. fond «Kul’t. initsiativa». M.: Epifaniia, 1994. 848 s. (PEM. Pamiatniki ekonomicheskoi mysli). (In Russ.).
6. 6. Maevskii I. V. Ekonomika russkoi promyshlennosti v usloviiakh Pervoi mirovoi voiny [The economy of Russian industry during the First World War] / Akad. nauk SSSR. In-t ekonomiki. M.: Gospolitizdat, 1957. 332 s. (In Russ.).
7. 7. Os’kin M. V. Veshchevoe snabzhenie russkogo soldata v period Pervoi mirovoi voiny: klimat i voennaia forma v okopakh [The clothing supply of the Russian soldier during the First World War: the climate and a military uniform in the trenches] // Istoriia povsednevnosti. 2019. № 1 (9). S. 54–66. (In Russ.)
8. 8. Sidorov A. L. Ekonomicheskoe polozhenie Rossii v gody Pervoi mirovoi voiny [The economic situation of Russia during the First World War] / [AN SSSR. In-t istorii SSSR]. M.: Nauka, 1973. 660 s. (In Russ.).
9. 9. Ul’ianova G. N. K istorii rossiiskoi promyshlennosti: Prokhorovskaia Trekhgornaia manufaktura vo vremia Pervoi mirovoi voiny i revoliutsii (1914–1922 gg.) [The history of Russian industry and a case of the Prokhorovskaya Trekhgornaya manufactory during the Russia’s great war and revolution (1914–22)] // Valerii Ivanovich Bovykin: Chelovek. Issledovatel’. Pedagog. K 90-letiiu so dnia rozhdeniia: sbornik statei i materialov / ed. by Iu. A. Petrov. M.: IRI RAN, 2019. S. 141–152. (In Russ.).
10. 10. Shigalin G. I. Voennaia ekonomika v Pervuiu mirovuiu voinu [Military economy in the First World War]. M.: Voenizdat, 1956. (In Russ.)