- Kuvshinova Elena Evgenievna
The article examines the circumstances of the emergence, activity and liquidation of Latvian cultural organizations in Moscow — theaters, clubs, communities from the period of the First World War to 1939. The priority ideological attitudes, the main goals and objectives of these organizations are identified, the governing bodies, the main areas of activity, the social and professional composition of the participants are determined. The factors that influenced the liquidation of these organizations during the Great Terror, accompanied by repressions of leading and ordinary employees, are investigated and the scale of repression is determined. Since 1925, the main center of Latvian culture in Moscow has been the Prometheus Society, which had a ramified structure of sections in all main areas of activity — publishing, theater, school, art, agriculture. It was it who carried out the main work with the Latvian diaspora in Moscow, which consisted of workers, employees and creative intelligentsia, and supported representatives of its ethnic group throughout the country. The society received substantial support from Latvian political associations and central authorities in the USSR — the All-Russian Center of Latvian Sections of the All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks and its Bureau, the Latvian Higher Party School, the Latvian Section of the Comintern, and the Commissariat for Latvian and National Affairs. Despite adherence to socialist ideas and focus on economic and economic activity, in 1937 society was liquidated as a counter-revolutionary organization. The closure of the association was accompanied by massive political repression of representatives of higher organizations — members of the Latvian sections of the Comintern, the All-Union Communist Party (Bolsheviks), as well as ethnic cultural and educational institutions supervised by them — Latvian clubs, schools, theater groups, collective farm circles throughout the country. All charges against the mentioned members of cultural and educational institutions were dropped in the rehabilitation processes of 1956–1957.
How to link insert
Kuvshinova, E. E. (2022). ACTIVITY OF THE LATVIAN CULTURAL ASSOCIATIONS IN MOSCOW IN THE POLITICAL CONDITIONS OF 1915–1938 Bulletin of the Moscow City Pedagogical University. Series "Pedagogy and Psychology", 2022, №1 (45), 75. https://doi.org/10.25688/20-76-9105.2022.45.1.06
1. 1. Arent K. P. Dinamika chislennosti latyshei v Sovetskoi Rossii / SSSR (1920–1940 gg.) [Dynamics of the number of Latvians in Soviet Russia/USSR (1920–1940)] // Rossiia i Latviia v potoke istorii. 2-ia polovina XIX – 1-ia polovina XX v. / otv. red. E. L. Nazarova. M.: IVI RAN, 2015. S. 212–233. (In Russ.).
2. 2. Bartele T. Latyshskii teatr v Moskve. 1915–1922 [Latvian theater in Moscow. 1915–1922] // Rossiia i Baltiia. Vyp. 2. Epokha peremen (1914–1924) / otv. red. A. O. Chubar’ian; red.-sost. E. L. Nazarova. M.: IVI RAN, 2002. S. 88–10. (In Russ.).
3. 3. Butovskii poligon. 1937–1938 gg. Kniga pamiati zhertv politicheskikh repressii. Vyp. 8 [Butovo landfill. 1937–1938. Book of Memory of Victims of Political Repressions]. M.: Al’zo, 2004. 400 s. (In Russ.).
4. 4. Zeliukina T. S. Latviiskie khudozhniki v Tret’iakovskoi galeree [Latvian artists in the Tretyakov Gallery] // Rossiia i Baltiia. Vyp. 9: Istochnik i mif v istorii / otv. red. A. O. Chubar’ian; In-t vseobshch. istorii RAN. M.: Ves’ Mir, 2020. S. 224–238. (In Russ.).
5. 5. Kikuts T. Latyshskie pereselentsy v Rossii: otrazhenie problemy v latyshskoi publitsistike nachala XX veka [Latvian Settlers in Russia: Reflection of the Problem in Latvian Publicism at the Beginning of the 20th Century] // Rossiia i Latviia v potoke istorii. 2-ia polovina XIX – 1-ia polovina XX v. / otv. red. E. L. Nazarova. M.: IVI RAN, 2015. S. 36–60. (In Russ.).
6. 6. Kriakin E. N. Etnicheskie organizatsii Moskvy i Podmoskov’ia v 1920-e – pervoi polovine 1930-kh gg. [Ethnic organizations of Moscow and the Moscow region in the 1920s – the first half of the 1930s.]: dis. … kand. ist. nauk. M., 2018. 180 s. (In Russ.).
7. 7. Latyshskie strelki v bor’be za Sovetskuiu vlast’ v 1917–1920 godakh: Vospominaniia i dokumenty [Latvian Riflemen in the Struggle for Soviet Power in 1917–1920: Memoirs and Documents] / Akad. nauk Latv. SSR. In-t istorii; [vved. Ia. P. Krastynia]. Riga: Izd-vo AN Latv. SSR, 1962. 527 s. (In Russ.).
8. 8. Liagushkina L. A. Sotsial’nyi portret repressirovannykh v RSFSR v khode Bol’shogo terrora (1937–1938 gg.): sravnitel’nyi analiz baz dannykh po regional’nym «Knigam pamiati» [Social portrait of the repressed in the RSFSR during the Great Terror (1937–1938): a comparative analysis of databases on the regional “Books of Memory”]: dis. … kand. ist. nauk. M., 2016. 354 s. (In Russ.).
9. 9. Nazarova E. L. Latyshi v russkoi revoliutsii. Sud’ba Karla Iakovitsa [Latvians in the Russian Revolution. The fate of Karl Jakovitz] // Rossiia i Baltiia. Vyp. 9: Istochnik i mif v istorii / otv. red. A. O. Chubar’ian; In-t vseobshch. istorii RAN. M.: Ves’ Mir, 2020. S. 143–186. (In Russ.).
10. 10. Shalda V. Istina ili legendy: aktual’nye voprosy istorii latyshskikh strelkov v publitsistike i istoriografii Latviiskoi Respubliki [Truth or Legends: Topical Issues in the History of Latvian Riflemen in Journalism and Historiography of the Republic of Latvia] // Rossiia i Baltiia. Vyp. 9: Istochnik i mif v istorii / otv. red. A. O. Chubar’ian; In-t vseobshch. istorii RAN. M.: Ves’ Mir, 2020. S. 82–142. (In Russ.).
11. 11. Shalda V. Latyshskie bezhentsy v Rossii i revoliutsiia. 1915–1921 gg. [Latvian refugees in Russia and the revolution. 1915–1921] // Rossiia i Baltiia. Vyp. 2. Epokha peremen (1914–1924) / otv. red. A. O. Chubar’ian; red.-sost. E. L. Nazarova. M.: IVI RAN, 2002. S. 63–94. (In Russ.).
12. 12. Shalda V. Latyshskie khudozhniki v Moskve (20–30 gg. XX veka) [Latvian artists in Moscow (20–30s of the 20th century)] // Rossiia i Baltiia. Vyp. 4: Chelovek v istorii / otv. red. A. O. Chubar’ian; red.-sost. E. L. Nazarova. M.: Nauka, 2006. S. 178–199. (In Russ.).
13. 13. Shafranskaia E. F. Butovskii poligon vs Nukusskii muzei im. I. V. Savitskogo [Butovo training ground vs Nukus Museum named after I. V. Savitsky] // Znamia. 2021. № 7. S. 180–205. (In Russ.).
14. 14. Shtraus V. P. Moskovskaia latyshskaia obshchina v XIX v. Kratkoe obozrenie [Moscow Latvian community in the 19th century. Brief overview] // Rossiia i Baltiia. Vyp. 3: Ostzeiskie gubernii i Severo-Zapadnyi krai v politike reform Rossiiskoi imperii. 2-ia polovina XVIII–XX v. / otv. red. A. O. Chubar’ian. M.: IVI RAN, 2004. S. 188–194. (In Russ.).
15. 15. Shtraus V. P. S latyshskogo na russkii (Problemy perevoda i izdaniia proizvedenii pisatelei latyshskoi diaspory v Rossii v 20–30-kh gg. XX v.) [From Latvian into Russian (Problems of translation and publication of the works of writers of the Latvian diaspora in Russia in the 20–30s of the 20th century)] // Rossiia i Baltiia. Vyp. 6: Dialog istorikov raznykh stran i pokolenii / otv. red. A. O. Chubar’ian. M.: Ves’ mir, 2011. S. 117–122. (In Russ.).
16. 16. Stinkulis V. Vai tiešām tik sarkani? // Latviešu strēlnieks. 1994. № 4. 31 p. (In Latvian).